Based on research of industry needs and competencies and skill sets identified as essential for Web technology workers, WOW has designed the following guidelines, learning objectives, and resources as a foundation for those pursuing knowledge, experience, and/or careers as Webmasters. The guidelines, objectives, and resources are designed to make the learning experience comparable to one experienced in college-level courses by providing course descriptions and learning objectives. After completing the CAW guidelines and resources, individuals may take the WOW CAW Certification Exam.
The WOW Certified Apprentice Webmaster (CAW-apprentice) examination measures fundamental competencies for aspiring or practicing Webmasters. The examinee must demonstrate a basic knowledge of Internet concepts, HTML, Web graphics, Web multimedia, Web site design, Web site management, Web project management, Web marketing, Web accessibility, and basic legal issues at the standard defined by this test specification. The skills and knowledge measured by this examination are derived from an industry-wide and worldwide job task analysis which was validated through a survey of hundreds of designers. The results of the survey were used in weighting the domains and ensuring that the weighting is representative of the relative importance of that content to the job requirements of a WOW Certified Apprentice Webmaster. The intent is to certify individuals in a body of knowledge that is identified and accepted as the baseline or foundation for any Webmaster.
- How the Internet Works (6th Edition) by Preston Gralla. Publisher: Que, ISBN: 0789725827
Markup, CSS, Scripting, Site Design, Site Management, Accessibility, and Multimedia
The books in this section cover a broad range of topics, but also provide detailed learning specific to the title content.
- Special Edition Using HTML and XHTML by Molly E. Holzschlag. Publisher: Que, ISBN: 0789727315
- Cascading Style Sheets: The Definitive Guide by Eric A. Meyer Publisher: O’Reilly Publishing, ISBN: 1565926226
- CSS: The Designer’s Edge by Molly E. Holzschlag. Publisher: Sybex, ISBN: 0782141846
- designing web graphics.4, Fourth Edition by Lynda Weinman. Publisher: New Riders. ISBN: 0735710791
Web Project Management
- Web Project Management: Delivering Successful Commercial Web Sites by Ashley Friedlein. Publisher: Morgan Kaufmann, ISBN: 1558606785